Our elders usually say that “Kitchen is the heart of the house.” And, you cannot deny this fact as a good and tasty meal keeps your loved ones healthy and happy. Moreover, Chimney makes it smokeless and odorless to keep a check on your health.
If you are reading this article then two things are possible either you own a chimney or you want to get all the knowledge for Kitchen Chimney Installation.
Most of the Chimney Brands provides installation services free of cost or charge you a very small amount. But it is important to know about the installation process so that you can check their work accordingly. Nowadays all the chimneys come with a plastic duct pipe and it is the most important element for the kitchen chimney.
As its durability can be for a short period, therefore, it will cost you more to call the service provider for a second-time installation of the same. So to save that cost, it is better to buy a duct pipe and cover it along with the chimney.
Moreover, you can get your chimney installed by calling a local technician or through an authorized service provider. And, if you can install it by yourself then you can save chimney installation cost which ranges from INR 500 to INR 2000. Let us get into the details for the installation of the chimney.
Tools Required for Installation
The process of installing a chimney is not so complicated. All you need to have is the following tools whether you are installing it by yourself or with the help of a technician.
- Marker pen to mark the points for fitting the chimney.
- Measuring tape for measuring the height of chimney etc.
And, in addition to that, all tools and spares provided with the chimney pack. When you will unpack the box make sure you get those.
Now we are ready to install a chimney in our cooking room.
Steps for Chimney Installation in Kitchen
- Where you want to place your chimney?
In the market various types of chimneys are available. All you need to choose which chimney suits you. Majorly they are divided into 3 to 4 categories based on their capabilities.
- Island Chimney: In this cooking hob placed at the center of the kitchen. And, kitchen chimney hanged above the cooking top attached to the ceiling.
- Wall Mounted Chimney: For installing this type of chimney you have to place your hob adjacent to the wall. Whereas chimney will be fitted against the wall and cooktop.
- Built-in Chimney: Many corporate kitchens use this type of kitchen chimney. As it is integrated inside the kitchen wood fixtures that are placed against the wall.
- Corner Chimney: It is rarely usable in India. It is placed in the corner of the kitchen above the cooktop.
1. Height for Kitchen Installation
The height between the chimney hood and gas stove is very essential in terms of checking the efficiency of a chimney. As, if the chimney is installed too close to the stove then there will be a risk that the chimney will catch fire. But, if it is installed too high then chimney will suck dirt with the fresh air.
As instructed by many chimney experts, for installing a chimney ideal height ranges between 24 inches to 30 inches. Also, a user manual will be provided with the chimney you will buy for yourself. And, in that recommendation for the height of kitchen chimney from the stove will be provided.
For instance, if you have to do Kaff Chimney Installation, then you can check their user manual to know the recommended height. Meanwhile, you need to calculate the optimum height for installing kitchen chimney by keeping the following factors in your mind.
- Type of Cooktop: If you are using an induction cooktop for making your meals then you are safe in terms of the height on which the chimney should be installed. And if you are using a naked flame gas stove then the chimney should be placed above 24 inches. If you try to install it below 24 inches, it may have a risk of fire explosion.
- Length and number of bends in a duct: The installation of a long duct can make the kitchen installation process somehow complicated. The long duct will have multiple numbers of bends due to which flow of smokey air will be stuck inside it. And, that will result in low efficiency of suction with a reduced rate of the discharged air. However, it is not safe to install a chimney at a lower height.
For such cases, a chimney of higher suction capacity like Elica 90cm 1425 m3/hr Chimney is advisable to install at an optimum height.
- Effectiveness of Suction Capacity: While buying a chimney this factor is considered to be an important one. A chimney should not be installed above 29 to 30 inches if its suction capacity is low. Because it will be unable to suck fumes and odors from a long distance from the stove. However, the relation between the height of kitchen chimney and suction capacity varies from brand to brand.
- Design of Kitchen and Stove’s position: The design of the cooking room and position of the cooktop impact the process of height calculation. If your stove is placed near to the sidewalls of the cooking room then it requires a duct of long length. And, that can reduce the suction capacity and inefficiency of operations.
Whereas if the stove is placed near to the outer wall of the kitchen then it can help you to save Kitchen Chimney Installation cost. As air can travel with minimum obstruction and high efficiency. But it is not possible in case of a chimney with higher suction power.
2. Mark the points for fastening the chimney:
Mostly Kitchen Chimney brands offer Chimney Installation Kit in which they provide screws, stands, and various attachments to fasten the chimney. After completing the height measurements with the help of measuring tape mark the points. And by doing the drilling action make holes for the screws. Just be careful while doing this process.
Once you attach the chimney with the hood then you are left with the step of fastening the chimney at the decided place. Now it is time to place the hood to the wall. You need to drill two holes until you are not sure that their heads are 6mm around the wall. Before fixing the chimney at that place check whether it fits well or not. And, if you are sure everything is fine then fix the chimney permanently.
When you will get the chimney just check its specification whether it has a duct or its without a duct. Nowadays you will get baffle filter based chimneys that make you spend chimney installation charges less than the expected one. But if you have a chimney with a duct then make sure it will be of stainless steel and aluminum for durability and strength.
However, its length should not be more than 12 feet. As a longer duct pipe will contain more bends while installation. And, that can result in a reduced rate of smoke suction and difficulty to reach the exhaust. So, a small duct pipe will be preferable to make the chimney more effective.
4. Make cut out for duct of the chimney.
You have to make a 6 inch wide and circular opening for the duct on the external wall of the kitchen. If you do not have any pre-installed chimney cut out or exhaust fitting then your technician has to make it accordingly. However, most of the chimney technicians make it at a height not less than 7 feet above the floor. And, if you are buying Elica Chimneys then Elica Kitchen Chimney Installation Guide has proper guidelines for the same.
But, if you have old chimney fittings or exhaust fan then you can use the cut out for passing the duct through it. Moreover, you can opt for a ductless chimney if there is no place for such a hole in your cooking hub.
5. The Added feature of universal Spigot
By keeping users convenience chimneys are now coming with in-built universal spigot. That enables you to attach the exhaust pipe hassle-free at 4, 5, and 6-inch of diameter.
6. The last and important step – Wiring
This step in the installation is very crucial. Just like other appliances its installation also requires black and white wires. Even, plugs of the chimney have to be fixed accordingly to provide comfort to the user.
You also require green wires known as earthing wires as it protects you from short circuits. When you are done with the wiring just turn on the power button of the chimney to check whether it is working properly or not.
Some Important Aspects for Kitchen Chimney Installation
- Modes of Airflow:
You can use chimney in two modes. One is the Exhaust mode and the other one is recirculation mode. But for best results, Exhaust Mode is highly recommendable.
Exhaust mode drive out the sucked Smokey air via duct pipe out of the kitchen only. Whereas Recirculation Mode is preferable in the absence of exhaust duct pipe. In this mode air recycled in the kitchen environment only when carbon filters purify it.
- Carbon Filter:
If you do not have feasible outdoor ducts for the exhaustion of air. Then you have to ask for an additional carbon filter and that can increase your chimney installation price. Or it can be possible it is already attached to your chimney. And, for that, you need to ask the chimney provider for the same.
However, if metal filters are attached to your machine then replace it with the carbon one. Just make sure to replace them once in three months for effective results.
Safety measurements while installing a chimney
The installation process has to be done with safety. As you have to use electronic appliances to install the chimney. Let us have a look at what precautions needed to be taken:
- For the non-conduction of electricity, the installer should be geared up with rubber gloves. Also, they protect you from short circuits.
- Before starting the installation process just turn off the main power supply. Moreover, lock the panel box so that no one can turn on the switches mistakenly.
- Before holding the wires just check that they are not active.
- Still, if your local technician faces difficulty while installation. Then no need to worry as you can call authorize technician of respective chimney brand. For example, if you are going for Greenchef Chimney Installation then you can call their technician by paying an extra amount for the service.
Factors to be considered for selection of the chimney:
- Size of the Chimney: The size of the chimney depends on the size of the stove. If you have a two-burner cooktop then for 60cm chimney. However, you can opt for a 90cm chimney if you have a cooktop with more than two burners.
- Suction Power: You will get various suction capacity chimneys in the market. This capacity ranges from 700 m3/hr. to 1600 m3/hr. But you should choose according to your cooking style.
- Mounting Style: Your kitchen design affects the mounting style of the chimney as well. If you have cemented ducts on your roof for the kitchen then ceiling chimney will be apt for you. And if you have round duct chimney then make sure that you have a round pipe for the exhaust process. Otherwise, you can go with a wall-mounted chimney.
- Style of the chimney: Chimney compliments your kitchen. And, for serving that purpose you have to choose between two styles of the chimney. One with straight glass and the other one with curved glass.
- Installation of Attachments: Mostly chimney providers do not provide installation of the duct and end cap. And, sometimes they do not even provide the attachments as well. So, you need to spend some extra amount on the same.
- Technology: Nowadays users prefer to have a filter-less chimney to save cleaning time. Even their auto clean technology and oil collector makes your experience happier. All you need to do is to spend more to avail of such benefit
- After-Sale Service: The best method of evaluating a brand’s loyalty can be check with the help of after-sale service feedback by the customers. If they do not provide good services then don’t opt for the same.
Chimney Installation in Kitchen – Conclusion
There is no denial of the fact that the Indian kitchen leads to a great deal of frying and strong aroma arouse due to various blend of spices. And, to get rid of those bad smells and smoke you need to install a chimney in your kitchen.
If you previously owned a kitchen chimney then you need to invest a lot of time for measurements, assembling, etc. All you need to clean the chimney filters once in two weeks. And, switch off the chimney while its maintenance.
I hope this article serves you with all the relevant information for installing kitchen Chimney in your kitchen. But if you feel that we missed any important point then feel free to comment in the comment section.